Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Olivia's First Month


First two weeks:

Sleeping Habits: 

You sleep almost constantly... you are like a dream baby! I am constantly checking on you to make sure you are breathing. You are such an easy baby. I wake you up every 3 hours during the day to eat, and you nurse like a champ. You are eating every 3-4 hours at night. You do cluster feed some, which is good because you are making my milk come in like crazy! 
Here is a good pictures of one your cloth diapers!
I did let you nap on your tummy while I was watching you, but you slept on your back at night. You sleep in a bassinet in our room, on Mommy's side of the bed.

Breastfeeding/Weight Gain:
Adam (batman) and Matthew (superman) pushing you to your first doctor's appointment
I am exclusively breastfeeding you. You were born at 6 lbs 7 ounces. At 2 days old you dropped to 5 pounds 13 ounces, and the doctor's office wanted me to supplement with formula. I was going to be nice and just accept the formula samples, but I knew I wasn't going to supplement you yet. I wanted to give my milk a chance to come in. So I said... "Okay... I probably won't." Your mommy usually doesn't talk back like that :) But my milk did come in later that day, and at your weight check the next day, you had gained an ounce! By two weeks old you were 7 lbs 8.5 ounces, which means you had gained over 2 ounces a day since my milk came in! I can see you getting chunkier every day!
I was pretty sore the first two weeks, but lanolin was my best friend! I am also loving the "My Breast Friend" nursing pillow when I want to be mostly hands free. But I also use a boppy or just hold you.
Coming home from the hospital
The one time you didn't nurse well was right after we brought you home. We were able to go home after 24 hours, which was wonderful! However, right before we left they did your Newborn Screen (a big prick to your heel), and you didn't want to nurse after that, or when we got home (it had been 4 hours since you last nursed by that time). I was starting to get nervous... why had we insisted on going home so early?? We could have easily stayed another day. I gave you to your Granny Bee to hold for a little while (she had been watching your brothers), and then tried again.. and you did fine. You haven't had an issue since.

Temperment:
You are so laid back and easy going! I love that you like to cuddle with mommy, and even when you are awake, you mostly just look around quietly. I can't wait to get to know you even more!
10 days old
10 days old
10 days old

Twin Brothers:

Your big brothers Adam and Matthew LOVE you! They ask to hold you all the time, and always say you're "so cute!" They love to kiss you head (I tell them "gently!") and look at your tiny hands and feet. 
11 days old
Matthew holding you

Everyone doing "tummy time"
2 weeks old. So calm with your crazy brothers wrestling with dad in the background.

Weeks 3-4

You are starting to wake up more and become more aware. At 3 weeks old you started to hold up your head and look around. At 4 weeks your awake periods were becoming longer and longer.

You still nurse great! You sleep well in your bassinet. Your most awake time is in the evenings after your brothers are asleep from about 7pm-11pm. Then you sleep in until about noon before another good awake time (of course you still nurse every 3 hours or so).

3 nights ago you stayed up until midnight, 2 nights ago you stayed up until 1am, and last night you stayed up until 2am. So you are a little confused about your days and nights. Mommy is trying to wake up in the mornings, so you will hopefully go to sleep a little earlier than this :)

We have cloth diapered since we brought you home from the hospital. I am actually having a lot of fun with it, I feel like I am doing something good for the environment and saving us money. It does mean Mommy has changed all of your diapers except a few that Daddy changed in the hospital, but that's okay. There is plenty for Daddy to do besides change diapers :)


Some places you have been (already!)

Zoo
Chuck E Cheese
The movies (Monsters University) - you didn't like this.. too loud. We spend most of the time out of the theater!
Costco (When you were two days old, but you stayed in your covered stroller :P)
Kroger (Mommy's first solo grocery trip with all 3 kiddos)
The splash park (3 times!)
Church

Other Thoughts:

The transition from 2 to 3 has been so easy compared to the shock of going from 0 to 2. You are such an easy baby AND there is only one of you. Also we are already set up for kids, and we had a much better idea of what to expect this time. I have loved the one on one snuggles we get to share, and carrying you around the house in the Moby Wrap, without a second baby looking at me in betrayal. :P

When you start waking up more I will have more of an idea of what life with 3 will really be like!

You are already 5 weeks old as of today. You have changed so much! As I write this you are sleeping in your Moby Wrap on my chest :) We love you so much!



2 1/2 weeks old. Watching Sabbath services on the webcast
3 weeks old. Just look at your cheeks! This is during your awake time in the evening :)
3 weeks old
IMG_20130705_105027.jpg
1 month old!
IMG_20130705_140242.jpg
1 month old! (At Chuck E Cheese being held by Grandma)

2 comments:

Shelly Cunningham said...

So happy for you & your family! I know exactly what you mean about "another baby looking at you with betrayal" when you would wear the other baby... Haha! I am so happy you get to experience a singleton. My experience has been amazing, too. They do just seem so easy, don't they?

Krystal said...

They really do. This is exactly how I pictured the newborn period before I became a mom of twins. The twins experience was special...but I am so enjoying my singleton :)