Thursday, February 24, 2011

6 Months

We made it to 6 months! Adam & Matthew are changing so fast, it is truly amazing. (In above picture, Adam is in front in the Moby Wrap, Matthew is on my side)

They:
  • Find, reach for, grab and play with toys
  • Sit up without asssistance for a good amount of time
  • Push up on their hands, lifting their chest completely up (for long periods of time)
  • Can entertain themselves for long periods (my personal favorite achievement, haha ;)
  • Notice each other, smile & laugh at each other
  • Laugh at the cats
  • Pet the cats
  • Are completely captivated by people and their surroundings. Even if they are nursing & dad comes into the room, they both immediately look at him & smile.
  • Grab their toes & chew on them while on their back
  • Flip from front to back easily. Matthew can flip back to front. I am pretty sure Adam can too, but I don't think he wants to ;)
  • Are eating solids. I started them 8 days before their 6 month birthday. So far they are eating rice cereal, sweet potatoes, acorn squash and peas. They are also sipping water from a straw or a cup. (They aren't very good at the sippy cup yet)
  • LOVE to stand and "walk" with us holding their hands
  • No words yet, but hopefully soon!
  • Take 2-3 naps a day. Naps are starting to become longer & further apart.
  • Usually sleep from about 7/8pm - 6/7am, waking up only once to nurse.
  • Weigh 14 lbs 9 oz (Adam) and 14 lbs 11.5 oz (Matthew). 5-10th %
  • Are both 26 in. long. 25th %

They are starting to develop their own personalities.

Adam:

  • More even tempered (Slower to smile, but also slower to bawl. Also has a softer cry.)
  • More sensitive. Loud noises or people making strange faces can make him cry.
  • Goes to sleep easier.
  • "Coos" while crying
  • Eats more solid food
  • Less picky about his solid food, except it CANNOT be cold. The moment it gets cold, he rejects it. (But he gobbles down everything that is warm, including peas)
  • Has a big heart. He likes/notices Matthew more than Matthew reciprocates the feelings :) (so far)

Matthew

  • Easier to make laugh, but also gets more upset, and with a louder cry. He seems to experience a wide range of emotions (quickly)
  • "Grunts" while crying. (We can now tell their cries apart on the monitor)
  • Is "done" eating solid foods much faster than Adam
  • Takes longer to go to sleep
  • Sticks his fingers in my mouth while he nurses.
  • Hates peas (so far)
  • Smiles very easily. "Flirts" with all of the girls (really!)

I am so happy I made it to 6 months. So far, every month has gotten easier & more fun. I do still feel overwhelmed at times. And, I admit, I can feel jealous of my friends who have singleton babies. I am jealous they can hold their baby on his own, that they are much more mobile (stick him in a moby wrap and you're good to go), that they can breastfeed one baby at a time (easier to cuddle & bond, and easier to travel).

I was actually having a pity party for myself the morning my mom & I took my precious babies for a walk. After a while of walking, this is how we found them:


They looked so peaceful together, it made my heart happy :) I really really love that they have each other, that they have a built in playmate, that they share a room (so I worry less about them being lonely at night), and that they will (hopefully) be friends for life.

No comments: