Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wow, 3 Months


Adam, Matthew on their 3 month birthday


When Adam & Matthew were newborns, 3 months seemed like an eternity away. In those days of feeding every 2 hours or less, around the clock, I didn't know if I would make it to two weeks. ;) But here we are.. 3 months already!

The boys are really starting to focus more on their environment. They have been smiling for a while now... but they are really starting to smile and laugh in response to specific things now. Like tickling their belly or making a funny face. When they were newborns they actually liked their bouncy chair more than being held. Those days are gone! There is nothing our boys like better than being held or played with. Sometimes I get up to do something while both boys are laying on a blanket... and I look back and two adorable little pairs of eyes are staring at me, like "why are you leaving us?" And they LOVE bathtime.

For almost a week the boys were eating every 3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. It was soo nice!! I tried not to get my hopes up that this would continue, because I didn't want to be disappointed/grumpy about it. Well, for the last week or so they are back to eating every 2-3 hours during the day and they take turns getting up multiple times at night. (every 3 hours or less to eat, and also getting up between feeds needing to be comforted). Sniff. I don't have a baby sleep book yet, but I will be buying one soon. I am looking into Sears/Healthy Sleep Habits/BabyWise. One thing being a NICU nurse does NOT teach you is how to put babies to sleep. Our babies are so premature that you have to fight to keep them awake long enough to eat.

Speaking of the NICU, I was scheduled to go back to work last week, one day a week. But, since I am going back PRN (or "as needed"), I am the first to be canceled if our census is low (unless someone wants to be canceled before me). So, I was canceled last week & again yesterday. I have officially been off of work for 16 weeks now. 2 weeks before giving birth, 12 weeks maternity leave, and now 2 weeks after maternity leave. My last paycheck was $27 (The last of my PTO). That's fine with me, the more time off the better while the boys are so young :) Going back to work is more of a trial though. If it doesn't work out I will just quit and try to get back in to nursing when the boys are older. I most likely won't be canceled next week since I am scheduled on Thanksgivng, and the cancelations work differently on holidays. So we'll see!

Both sets of grandparents have continued to be very helpful, and I am so grateful for that!

Happy 3 months Adam & Matthew! I love you both & I can't wait to see what the next 3 months will bring us!

No comments: